Tuesday, July 05, 2005

So, what’s the weather like in Ireland?

Today was cool in the morning, then rainy, then sunny, then sunny and windy, then rainy and windy, then partly sunny with light showers. From what I’ve seen, the clouds tend to stay pretty low, so the rain comes and goes fairly quickly. We’re on an island and on the coast of the Irish Sea west of England, so the temperature is going to remain fairly constant throughout the year – not too hot in the summer, cold but not terribly so in the winter. I’ve learned to have with me at all times a jacket, an umbrella, and sun screen.

http://www.ireland.com/weather/cam.htm
http://www.visitdublin.com/weather/

I remember the year I spent in Monterey, CA where we called it “perpetual autumn”. One day I biked 30 miles to Salinas for a rodeo. Coming back it was so hot and even the top of my head got sunburned. But over the last three miles to the Presidio at the top of Monterey Peninsula, the temperature dropped 30 degrees and by the time I got there I was cold.

The temperature here has been consistently around 17-20° C (65-70°F). They say it seldom gets above 25, but also that it hardly ever freezes in the winter. I had to turn the heater on in the apartment the other day – not because it was cold, but because I had just done a load of laundry and it wouldn’t dry otherwise.

I finished Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man yesterday. My second shipment of personal goods arrived today, which included the copy of Finegan’s Wake I bought with the Barnes & Nobles gift certificate Tania and Matt gave me. I also visited the local library just down the street from Sierra’s school. They have a good selection and even have a surprisingly good collection of foreign language literature. When I came out, the sun was shining from the west, but gray clouds were coming from the north and a light rain chased me home.

No comments: