Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Historical Significance of My Best Photo

At the Texas Relays in 1985, I was on the infield of the stadium at UT.  I took this picture of Freddie Williams (ACU) with my old Canon AV-1 (aperture controlled SLR, iso 400 film).  I have long said it was one of the best pictures I ever took.



On the 4x400 meter relay, the first leg runs in their own lane.  The second leg runs the first curve in their lane and then breaks to the inside as soon as they come out of the curve.  This is where I was standing and this is what they were doing.  I like the picture because Freddie is in perfect focus and perfect pose in the center, the background is blurred, the other runners are slightly out of focus, and everyone's school name is hidden.  (You can just barely make out Texas A&M on the right.)  It's almost like it was staged, but I actually took this live action shot.

Baylor won that year in a meet record time of 3:00.88.  That record stood for 26 years.  It got broken this year by Texas A&M.



No comments: